PSW Employment Opportunities with Self-Managed Attendant Care Services

Personal Support Workers in Ontario is the primary job title for individuals providing personal support services.

However, there is a myriad of other job titles used instead of Personal Support Worker or PSW.

One such title is Attendant Care.

Personal Support Workers (PSWs) can work as Attendant Care providers. 

Attendant Care Service providers or Attendants work in many different settings with individuals requiring various types and levels of care.


This is a program for physically disabled adults that enable them to receive attendant care services in their homes.

Eligible participants of this program receive direct funding from the  Centre for Independent Living in Toronto (CILT).

CILT operates this program in partnership with the Ontario Network of Independent Living Centres (ONILC).

This direct funding is provided by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care through the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN).

There is a set criterion for who receives this funding.

Recipients of the direct funding can use these funds for obtaining attendant care service as required and established by the individual.

Participants of this program act as employers and directly recruit attendants for services they require.

The type and amount of assistance required are all established by the disabled individual.

The assistance required depends on the individual needs of the participant such as:

  • Assistance with routine Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s), and
  • Transfers to and from assistive devices such as wheelchairs


Over the past few years, the Government of Ontario has introduced several measures to strengthen the quality of care in the home and community care settings.

The direct funding to individuals is a unique model that is a testament to the ministry’s commitment to empowering the end users.

Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care delivers care in the community through the following outlets:

  • Ontario’s Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs),
  • Assisted Living in Supportive Housing/Support Services Living Units (SSLUs), and
  • Attendant Outreach Services where an agency employs attendants.

With the “direct funding” model, you’ll be hired directly by the recipient of the funding, the person you’ll be caring for.

In other words, the individual you’ll be caring for will be your employer.


Your employer has obligations like any other employer in Ontario.

He/she must abide by all Ontario employment regulations, Employment Standards Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Human Rights Code.

Your employer is also registered with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).

Registration with WSIB allows you to receive appropriate benefits in case of injury on the job.

You’ll be on a payroll and remit appropriate deductions such as the income tax, Canadian Pension Plan (CPP), and the Employment Insurance (EI).

You can expect to be paid biweekly.

You’re also entitled to vacation pay and payments for statuary holidays.


The hiring of attendants is a process that is entirely the responsibility of the individual receiving the direct funding. 

The Ministry of Health, Local Health Integration Networks (LHIN’s), the Ontario Network of Independent Living Centres (ONILC) or the Centre for Independent Living in Toronto (CILT) are not involved in the hiring process. 

How much you get paid while working as an attendant care for an individual receiving direct funding depends upon the agreement reached between both the parties. 

There are no guidelines pertaining to the minimum salary you will get.


Attendant Care jobs are posted on the Consumer Attendant Roaster (CAR), managed by the Centre for Independent Living In Toronto.

All job postings can only be viewed by registering with the attendant roaster.

If you’re interested in seeking employment as an attendant care, you will have to create your profile on the Consumer Attendant Roaster.

This profile is available to individuals who are looking to hire an attendant.

Follow the steps below to register and create your profile:

Go the Consumer Attendant Roaster

Attendant Consumer Roaster Login

Click on the Login/Register button to be taken to a new page where you can register yourself as a “new attendant”.

New User Registration for Attendant Care Roaster

Fill in the registration form providing as much detail as possible.

Application of Consideration for Attendant Care Roaster

Once you complete and submit the application, your profile will be reviewed before being available publically on the attendant roaster.


Once you’ve created a profile, you can immediately search for job postings. 

Depending upon the area you choose, there can be many attendant care jobs available.

In order to search for jobs, click on the “search jobs” button. 

Searching for Jobs in Attendant Care Roaster

A new page will be displayed (looks similar to the registration page) where you can define criteria for your search. 

After you’re done, hit “search” at the bottom of the page and any job postings matching your search criteria will be displayed. 

You can click on the name of the employer to view the entire job posting and the duties required. 

If you find something you like, you can contact your employer directly via the email provided in the job posting. 

Share your love

Avlin is passionate about helping aspirants become better personal support workers. He is an entrepreneur and runs a clinic in Toronto.

Articles: 226