A petiiton has been filed by the Family Council Network Four at the Queens Park Ontario. Ontario Personal Support Worker Association has been supporting this petition.
The Council deems current PSW training inconsistent and insufficient to meet physical, psychological and emotional needs of patients, clients and residents they care for.
Key parts of this petition are:
- Increase the number of paid hours of nursing and personal care to 4 hours per day.
- Develop a plan to further increase number of paid hours of nursing and personal care to 5 hours per day.
- Establish a licensing body, such as a college, that will develop a process of registration, accreditation and certification for all Personal Support Workers (PSWs).
Click here to download a copy of the petition.
This interview is with president of the Ontario Personal Support Worker Association, Miranda Ferrier.
She answers following questions related to PSW’s in Ontario.
- What does a PSW do?
- What kind of training does a PSW get?
- Some of the people that PSW’s help with?
- What are the challenges related to Personal Support Workers?
- What needs to be done to improve the system?
- What do you think should be PSW-resident ratio?
- What is the PSW-resident ratio now?
- Are you hopeful that there will be changes made in future?
Listen to the complete interview by clicking on the link provided below.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it!