Let’s assume, you don’t have PSW insurance.
While caring for an elderly patient, you are asked to prepare a small lunch.
However, after the meal, you accidentally leave the stove on causing a large grease fire in the kitchen.
The damages amount to over $7,000.
WILL YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT?
Personal Support Workers help form the backbone of today’s healthcare system in Ontario.
With an aging population in need of support in both private homes and medical facilities, the role of PSW has become crucial in the delivery of quality care.
However, the rise of PSW demand corresponds with the risks associated with the field.
Many are beginning to have concerns about the lack of protective controls that currently exist to help both support workers as well as patients.
Unlike many other healthcare professionals,
PSWs are not legally required to have an insurance policy to work in Ontario.
As a result, many PSWs are placing themselves at risk of potentially being held liable for damages or injuries that may occur. Conversely, patients and their families may not be as willing to employ PSWs if they are uninsured.
If you are currently employed as a PSW or are considering a career as one, you should understand the advantages and disadvantages of having a professional insurance policy.
A list has been provided below.
A brief outline of two companies that offer coverage follows
…to provide you with information to help you decide if having an insurance policy is the best choice for you.
ADVANTAGES OF PSW INSURANCE
- Insurance can protect PSWs who are at risk of being liable for accidental injuries or damage to property
- An insurance policy prevents PSWs from potentially facing financial hardship as a result of being held responsible for injuries or damage to property
- The prospect of being insured could result in more PSWs choosing to enter the field
- PSWs would feel more valued in a field that offers a lower salary and minimal regulation compared to other healthcare workers
DISADVANTAGES OF PSW INSURANCE
- Prospective PSWs may be unwilling to embark on the career due to insurance premiums
- Insurance could encourage fraudulent and/or unnecessary lawsuits
Holman Insurance Brokers
Types of Insurance
- Professional negligence
- Libel and slander
- Breach of confidentiality
- General liability to third party
- Rescuers/Good Samaritan Act
Cost of Premiums for PSW Insurance
- As low as $180 per year
How to Obtain PSW Insurance
- An application is available on the site.
Who to Contact
(905) 886-5630 ext. 1224
(905) 886-5670 ext. 1246
Holman Insurance Brokers
3100 Steeles Avenue East, Suite 100
How to make payments
- Cheque enclosed in application
- Internet banking options
- Debit card banking
- In person at the bank
- In person at the head office
- Contact Mark Holman at (905) 886-5630 ext. 1224
Marsh Canada — Personal Support Worker Liability and Crime Insurance
Types of Insurance
- Professional and liability insurance
- Crime insurance
- Occurrence from malpractice liability
Breakdown of Coverage
- $150 per year for up to $5 million of coverage in addition to crime protection
- $125 per year for up to $5 million of coverage without crime protection
- $75 per year for up to $2 million of coverage
- Up to $5,000 per year for third party bonding
How to Obtain Insurance Policy
- Contact a local representative
Tel: (416) 349-3049
Tel: (416) 349-4453
You will receive a two-page application by email. Applicants can pay by credit card or mail the application along with a cheque to the following address:
PO Box 8991, Postal Station A
- Applicant must be a personal support worker
- Applicant must subscribe to the PSNAO
Exploring the topic of PSW insurance is an important aspect of the narrative that currently exists with regard to care workers in Ontario.
PSWs provide care for some of the most vulnerable members of our community, and their services should be valued…
allowing them to undertake their duties with the support and confidence they need to do their job to the best of their ability.
If you are a PSW who would like insurance, consider both the advantages and disadvantages of having coverage.
Use the same approach as you would when looking for automobile, house, or any other type of insurance
…by shopping around to get the best premiums and coverage possible.
By doing so, you will be valuing yourself and your contributions to the healthcare industry in your prospective or chosen career.